Wednesday, July 9, 2008

No peanuts! No Milk!

A few weeks ago I thought I would try to give Madi a peanut butter sandwich because isn't that a kid favorite. She didn't want anything to do with the peanut butter but she did nibble at the bread a little. She mashed the sandwich up so it got on her skin and most likely under her fingernails. I cleaned her off when she was finished but I didn't scrub her down which is probably what I should have done. At first she seemed just fine she even took a nap. A few hours later she started getting extremely upset and complaining that she was scratchy. We gave her a bath and after that the hives really started showing up. She was so miserable I felt terrible for giving her something that made her sick. We gave her Benadryl and put Cortisone Cream all over her. She was in terrible pain and scratching so hard that she was bleeding. Brett just held her while she cried for two hours straight and then she finally went to sleep. I learned my lesson on that one.

Madi has also showed signs of being allergic to milk at least on her skin. Anytime she eats anything dairy and gets it on her face or hands she gets a rash kind of like hives. When it first happened I mentioned it to her doctor and she said that Madi would grow out of it. We started just giving her soy milk and after awhile I switched back to regular milk but the same thing started happening again. I brought it up to her doctor again and she suggested that we take her to the Allergy Specialist.

Today at the Allergy Specialist they tested Madi for peanuts and milk. The doctor really thought that the milk allergy was unlikely since she didn't show any other sings like vomiting or diarrhea. Well, the test for both came back positive. It was scary listening to the doctors instructions about the Epi Pen. I don't ever want to have to give Madi the Epi Pen but I'm so glad that there are things like that to help when you need them. As we were walking out of the doctors office I had Madi repeat after me, "No peanuts for me thank you." I heard her saying it later as she was playing. I guess the fun thing about all of this is Madi now gets to wear a medical alert bracelet. She totally loves wearing jewelry so it will be so cool to her.

If you look close in this photo you can see the redness on Madi's legs. This was the peanut butter incident.This is what happened after eating Macaroni and Cheese.She had to be poked with a pin six times. She was a real trooper and even giggled because she said it tickled. She just kept on watching Finding Nemo.This is after 20 minutes showing positive.Kimber just watched her big sister the whole time. It was so sweet!

5 comments:

Tara L. said...

My 2 year old is also allergic to peanuts. She had her first reaction when she was one. My grandma gave her a piece of chocolate that had nuts in it. She broke out in a rash and threw up. It was awful. She has to carry an epi pen too. It really is scary. Too bad you don't live close to us. It would be fun for our kids to hang out.

Thomas Rust said...

That is so sad. I would have a hard time with that, it seems like everything has peanuts and/or milk in it. Ice Cream . . . HELLO that would be terrible!

Poor little gal!

Shawn said...

Hi Heather...it is Shawn (Busch) Lalliss. I found your blog through Tara Lemos' and Tiffany Wright's blogs. I have a blog as well, but it is private. If you send me an e-mail I'll invite you to read mine. My address is buschbaby02@msn.com It is fun seeing what you and Brett are up to. I'm sorry about your little girl...allergies are no fun for her and for you either. You have a cute family. Take Care.

The Karafa Family said...

Poor Madi! Dillon was tested last year and has to be re-tested this December. So far it's unexplained break-outs and excema. Both the boys get welts if the even touch Ranch Dressing.

Anonymous said...

You really documented the experience very well. I can't remember any piece of information that you omitted. I love you and keep up the good work.