Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July!

Yesterday I found myself missing our hometown of Vernal really bad. I missed being around family and all the things we would do with them. I thought about my family and how they probably walked to Main Street to watch the parade.It's just a fun little parade with all the firetrucks blowing their horns and running their sirens. It's always fun to watch the kids cover their ears because it's so loud. Then to add to the noise the jets from Hill Air Force Base do a fly over. That's always a big hit. (I don't think I would care much about the jets anymore since we hear them everyday as they fly over our house.) Then the barbecue and sitting on the deck talking for hours. Sometimes we would go sit on Grandma Woolley's porch and watch people go by. It's so fun because people always honk and wave. Later in the evening we all load up in Grandpa Woolley's truck and drive to the Ashley Stake Center to watch the fireworks from the parking lot.

This year I really wanted to take Madi to see the fireworks. We were on our way to the ball park where they were being set off to find out they were canceled. What a bummer!! It was extremely windy and the dust in the air was crazy so it was a good thing we weren't out in the weather. On the other hand we did get a really cool lightning show. If we weren't all sick I would have watched the lightning longer. Oh yeah that's the other thing. We were all sick yesterday so that was a bummer. Besides all of the mishaps we had fun hanging out with the Wright's and the Jankowski's. The kids had a lot of fun playing dress up and running wild. Oh and then Brett saw Madi and Ty Jankowski walking around holding hands. It was pretty cute! The kids had fun with the confetti party poppers that Tifany gave them. Oh and we did get to watch the fireworks from Tempe on TV so I guess that made up for Buckeye's being canceled. Woo Hoo!!

As I'm sitting here writing this I realize that even though the day didn't go just as I would have liked I am so blessed to be an American. To have the freedom that I have to say and do things that I like. We are free to travel to other states and see our family if we would like to and in parts of the world they can't because of their government. I'm proud of my family members including my cute husband that have been in the military protecting the freedom that we have. The fireworks and barbecues are a fun part of the day but we need to remember what the day is actually about and be thankful that we are so blessed to live in this country. I am thankful most of all that I have the freedom to say, "God Bless America!"

1 comments:

Sharon Gifford said...

Hey Heather Thank you for the comments, you and Bethy make me smile and lol when I read them! I miss you all so much! I just realized we are the ones that live out of Utah, maybe thats why we appreciate the internet and keeping in touch so much! Love ya ttyl :O)