Friday, February 27, 2009

Are you kidding me?!

With Brett's work schedule he comes home for lunch usually around 11:00PM. Tonight was just like any other he came home and ate his food watched his shows on ESPN. When it was time to leave I was sitting on the couch holding sleeping Kimber. I heard Brett shut the door and then heard the door to the garage shut and then... BAM!!! I was already on my feet because I was on the way to put Kimber in bed. At first I thought that Brett had somehow fallen down the stairs. It was really freaky for a minute and then I found out what made the loud bang. The garage door in this house has two large coils on either side (right now I can't remember how the new ones look but this one is old) and one of then broke loose and smashed down to the ground. Ahhh!! Brett has a huge HUGE guardian angel that kept the coil from hitting him. I'm really amazed that he didn't get hurt. Ahhh!! So scary! I just don't want to even think about all the what if's... Yikes yikes yikes! So after a moment of us both being stunned I went and put Kimber in bed put my boots on and a coat so that I could try to help get the heavy door open so Brett could go back to work. We thought that maybe we could just lift it since the one side was still connected.. Nope, wouldn't budge. So I pushed the button as Brett lifted the door and that worked for a foot or so and then I had to hit the button twice to make it reverse then start back up again. We did that a few times and then got the door open. What a serious pain in the butt. So now I'm thinking, "How are we going to close it now?" and I said that out loud to Brett and he said that we were just going to leave it open. I'm so glad that we don't own this house and that we are just renting it. Talk about problem after problem. Since we've been here we have moved the one, THE ONLY plug in the kitchen so that it wasn't hidden behind the counter top (Duh!) and we remodeled the bathroom (well partly) we installed new locks on the entry doors fixed some plumbing problems oh and we dealt with some back up from the sewer (thankfully no sewage just bathwater) and that happened twice and oh yeah the furnace stopped working when it was in the negatives outside. NICE!!! Oh well, at least our landlord had someone come fix the furnace and clean up after the sewer overflow. Such drama!
I'm still a little freaked about the garage door coil and how it missed hitting Brett. It also somehow missed hitting the car so that's good too but I would take it hitting the car over hitting Brett. The car can be fixed but I only have one of Brett. So scary! Ok now I'm going to go to bed and say a prayer to thank Heavenly Father was watching out for my Bretty.

2 comments:

Darice said...

That is so freaky! I am really glad that Brett did not get hurt! Your girls are getting so big and they are just adorable!

Sharon Gifford said...

Wow! I am so glad 2 that it missed him! The landowner should take care of all of that because the house is getting to that point and they need upgrades or they just get worse! Love you guys and I am glad everyone is OK! Love Sharon and family