Monday, March 23, 2009

Tornado Watch!!!

We had a pretty good thunderstorm here today. We had rain and hail mixed and lightning with booming thunder. It's so fun to watch the rain and hail falling but I'm too scared of lightning that we didn't watch for very long. I had the weather channel on all afternoon checking on the weather forecast. It's pretty disconcerting to see that red outline around the area that you live in. This is the first time since we've been here that I've seen the Tornado Warning on the news. I've been on edge all afternoon. Last week I started looking into tornado preparedness online. I was just getting nervous about what to do and would I even hear the sirens if they went off in the middle of the night.. They ought to give a crash course on tornado's when you move here.
Madi is such a little character. She really wanted to come outside but I'm too chicken. So she just watched from the door. What a silly willy.
Poor Brett had to leave for work right when the rain was falling the hardest. I told him he could use my umbrella but it's a little too girly for him. I would have taken some pictures of the rain and hail coming down but the lightning had me too scared. I did go out when it was all calm and took some photo's. The sky just looks so ominous. While I was outside I heard a bang or a loud pop that made my heart jump. The neighbor up the road a little ways either shot a BB gun or lit a firecracker to scare the birds. I'll tell you what it scared the birds and me too.. Yikes! The birds were going crazy though so I guess I don't blame him for being annoyed.
I called and talked to Tifany on the phone and she said that she will probably have a heart attack every time it rains here and I would have to agree.

2 comments:

Shelbee said...

We were heading to the school for parent teacher conference around 6:00 and really got a good look at the clouds. They were green and the rain was crazy! I had to stop once because I couldn't see the road for all the rain.
So...green is bad, and I'm sure you'll hear the sirens...they're pretty loud. Just go in the basement and stay away from windows. You could have a stash with a flashlight, snacks, water, blankets...that kind of stuff. You probably already know that though.

Woodbury said...

You're gonna want to get a weather radio... by the time the sirens go off, it could be too late to do anything about it. Although, on a side note, there have been several tornado watches and warnings in this area, but few actual tornadoes.